Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Week One: Setting Goals!

Life is hectic, especially in high school. It is nice to have a way to escape from the pressure of classes and clubs. I have never been able to find a successful method of stress relief, until now. Many studies have shown that knitting can relieve stress and even serve as therapy.

For the past couple years, I have wanted to learn how to knit but have never been able to find the time to do so. Knitting seems like a great creative outlet and a fun way to relax. I love to sew but I cannot take out my sewing machine when I have a just couple of minutes to spare. Knitting is a great life skill and something that I will enjoy doing for a long time.

My Aunt Linda is a big knitter; she never goes anywhere without her needles and yarn. (Below is a picture of her during her trip to Australia. She never sets down her knitting.) I admire the patience that my aunt has and it I can feel the love, time, and effort in everything that she knits for me.


I believe that I will be able to learn how to knit within these seven weeks. If I ration my time properly and stick to my schedule, I believe that will be able to make my Aunt Linda proud!

Week One: Research Knitting. I have, for the most part, completed this step. There are several blogs and informational websites that teach the basics of knitting. My favorite site so far is Martha Stewart's "How To Knit". I am also quite fond of "Knitting For Dummies". When knitting, you have to use patterns. Before children can play an instrument, they have to learn how to read music. Similarly, I have to learn how to understand pattern's before I can start knitting. This site is very helpful in that respect.

Week Two and Three: I will spend the first two weeks learning how to knit and creating squares in order to learn how to knit basic stitches. I have already found one square pattern than incorporates many of the skills I will use when knitting socks.

Week Four and Five: During these two weeks, my goal is to knit a pair of socks. Based on what I have read so far, I should be able to knit a basic pair. If this proves to be too difficult, (as creating the circular shape is tricky,) I will knit a scarf instead. I have found a pattern that is supposed to be great for beginners.

Week Six and Seven: During these weeks, my goal is to knit a sweater for my puppy that has at least one more advanced stitch pattern it in. The pattern that I have found may not be the most advanced but it is reasonable. (Within just seven weeks I will not be able to master the art of sleeves, pockets, or intricate designs.)

In order to show my progress, I am going to monitor the "neatness" of my stitches and the length of time that it takes in order to knit a complete row. The more advances the knitter, the better these skills are. Hopefully, I will also be able to knit more advanced stitches by the end of this journey.

I am very excited for my knitting adventure and I hope that I am successful in learning to be a proficient knitter. Wish me luck!

Sources: 


"Easy Dog Sweaters - How to Knit a Dog Sweater." Talking Tails. N.p., n.d. Web. 
     21 Feb. 2013. 
     <http://www.talkingtails.com/sweater.html>.

          This site has a pattern for a simplistic dog sweater. 

Stewart, Martha. "How To Knit." Crafts. Martha Stewart, n.d. Web. 
     21 Feb. 2013. 
     <http://www.marthastewart.com/854324/how-knit/%40center/856242/knitting>.

          Martha Stewart shows readers all about basic knitting skills.  

Trock, Stacey. "Easy Peasy Socks for First-Timers." Ravelry. N.p., n.d. Web. 
     21 Feb. 2013. 
     <http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/easy-peasy-socks-for-first-timers>.

          This site has a fantastic sock pattern for first-time sock knitters. 

"Understand Knitting Abbreviations and Knitting Terms." Knitting For Dummies
     For Dummies, n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2013. 
     <http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/understand-knitting-abbreviations-and-knitting-ter.html>.

          This site teaches those new to knitting how to read patterns and understand terms. 

White, Sarah. "Your First Knitting Project." About Knitting. About.com, n.d. Web. 
     21 Feb. 2013.    
     <http://knitting.about.com/od/learntoknit/ss/first-project_8.htm>.

          This site has instructions on how to sew squares that incorporate many different skills. 

3 comments:

  1. You mentioned to me (in person) that you were knitting small clothing models for your dog. Will these translate well to bigger sizes? After all, a dog foot is much differently shaped than a human foot, etc. You could choose just to knit for your dog, considering that's what you'll be doing after the project ends. If I were you, I would focus on Sunny clothes because you'll never knit another human sock (and nobody wants socks made out of yarn).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually am only going to knit for my dog, or "dog-sized" things. This is partially due to what you said and partially due to the time constraint. Knitting a scarf for myself would take weeks but knitting a miniature scarf for Sunny will only take about three days.

      And I do want socks made out of yarn! My aunt knit me the softest socks ever and I wear them every night!

      Delete
  2. I admire your determination and workmanship Brooke! I think you're extremely talented and looking at your past projects or even the products you've made in the past few years you'll succeed in this project! I like how you took dream and utilized it in this project, although that's really the whole point of this project. Can't wait to see your final product!

    ReplyDelete