Monday, March 11, 2013

Week Four: Stitches

This week has been anything but exciting. I have basically just knit. Stitch after stitch, row after row. It is amazing how long I can spend looping yarn around a needle but still have little to show for it.

I underestimated just how much patience knitting was going to take. I had hoped that I could start another project by the end of this week but that did not happen. I have to change my goals once again.

I am going to spend the next few days finishing my scarf so that I can move onto another project. I have been looking for something else to knit afterward but I have not found anything simple enough. (I need a pattern that will not take a long time but that incorporates a new skill.) Depending on how long this scarf takes me, I may just knit it extra long and not start on another project. Instead, I may knit practice squares with new stitches. (This way I cans still learn a new skill.)

I have achieved my goals for this week, though; I have gotten better! The first pieces of my scarf are uneven and have a few holes (oops) but the second half looks even and has no blemishes! I am so proud of myself! I became a better knitter!

Even though I don't have much to show for it, I have learned a lot about myself. I found out that knitting really does relieve stress, although you have to be wiling to be patient. On the other hand, I learned that I am not patient. If I ca only come out of this project with one thing, I sure hope it is patience.

Here are my readings: (I also read a lot of patterns but I did not want to list them.)

Ellis-Christensen, Tricia, and O. Wallace. "How Can I Become More Patient."  
     WiseGeek. N.p., 2011. Web. 11 Mar. 2013.
     <http://www.wisegeek.com/how-can-i-become-more-patient.htm>.

          According to this site, knitting will make me more patient. I hope this is true.

Kohler, Brian. "The Red Toe Diaries." The Red Toe Diaries. Blogspot, 2013. Web. 11
     Mar. 2013. <http://redtoediaries.blogspot.com/>.

          This is my Uncle's blog. He is a professional knitter/sewer/I am not really sure.
          Right now he is trying to knit 24 pairs of socks on one needle all at the same time.
          It is fun to read this because it actually has some greats tips/tricks for knitting.

Martin, Michel. "Knitting Behind Bars." NPR. N.p., 9 Jan. 2012. Web. 8 Mar. 2013.
     <http://www.npr.org/2012/01/09/144904615/knitting-behind-bars-learning-focus-and-patience>.

          This site talks about a program in a Maryland prison that teaches inmates how to knit.
          It helps the prisoners develop patience and life skills. I hope this is true for me, too!



11 comments:

  1. Brooke, I understand your frustrating of knitting one loop after another for hours and hours and not getting that far. However, I do love knitting in the winter, where there is snow piled outside, and I am sitting in front of the fireplace, listening to my favorite songs. Like the sites you have read, I do think that knitting develops patience and life skills. It is very interesting that there is a program in a Maryland prison. It is quite hard for me to visualize prisoners knitting rows by rows, but that would definitely help them to get their minds off several things. I also went on your uncle's blog. It is so cool to see him knitting several socks at once, and I couldn't help but wondering how he pulls it off without getting the yarns tied up! One suggestion I have for you for getting knitting work done faster is pick a day, where you can just knit the whole time. That way your hand gets used to the looping yarns and find a rhythm, You'll find yourself with a finished product in less than a week! I hope your scarf turns out nicely!
    -Sun

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny because when I switched from knit to crochet, I was used to taking FOREVER to get things done, but in crochet it's like BAM you're done! In some of the things I've read, knit rows can be 1/2-1/6 the size of a row in crochet (from single crochet to triple crochet). Your reading sources are great, not only are they about how to knit, but real applications of it in people's lives.
    Good luck with that patience thing, you'll get there. (Someday)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your suggestions! I am glad to hear that I am not the only person with these problems!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are making great progress Brooke and I'm pretty sure your scarf looks great nonetheless. For whatever you choose to knit next maybe it should compliment your scarf so your final product can be the two products combined as like one look. Or if you want to go off and learn a new skill maybe you should learn cable knitting. I don't know if I'll be able to attempt this yet and it is more difficult (mostly because you have to bring over different pieces). But I think if you wanted to do it you would definitely be able to. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like your idea of having a complimenting product! I think I will do that! Thanks!

      Good luck with your knitting!

      Delete
  5. I've heard knitting is pretty difficult, so I think adjusting your goals is perfectly fine in your case. You can't shoot too high, or else you won't have a good grasp on basic skills and your final product will be shoddy. Now that you've figured out what to do, your knitted product will be great since you're really invested in it and you know how to do everything it requires. Also, for someone as busy as you, knitting is a great, stress-relieving hobby, even if it does take up quite a bit of time. Good luck Brookie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must say, your patience is impressive. I think that if I had to just sit and knit a scarf for hours and hours, I might end up strangling myself with it. Though it wouldn't be long enough.
    Do you think maybe you could post a few pictures of your scarf (like before and after)? I thought that'd be a really cool way to demonstrate your progression.
    Are you going to wear your scarf for your TED talk? :)
    I thought it was really cool that knitting can actually relieve stress, maybe I should try some of that...
    It's awesome how knitting has actually helped you learn about yourself.
    Good luck with all of those stitches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I am really glad that my project has been successful so far. If you ever want to learn how to knit I can teach you! (Although I would probably teach you wrong since I make mistakes every few rows...)

      Delete
  7. A week later, and you FINALLY finished your dog scarf. You said you might just knit practice squares, but I think you should do one big project for the next two weeks and go out with a bang. Make the most impressive dog hat the world has ever seen, display it at the TED talk, then, if you would like, quit forever. You need patience to gain patience, so you might want to start with something a bit easier and come back to knitting once you can handle it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to make a beautiful sweater but I am not going to go out with a bang because I actually like knitting! I plan to continue knitting (probably less frequently, but I will still knit). It really does help relieve stress in some magic way.

      Delete